Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Cousin Tony

I have some very special memories of growing up playing with my cousin Tony. I remember in our pre teen years, we used to cut out bits and pieces of my aunt's department store catalogs, to form new images. Pages with lawn mowers, vacuums, and other machines and appliances, were especially prized. They made great characterful robots when cut up and recombined. Even back then, Tony and I were all about sci-fi, robots, but more importantly.... creativity and character. Tony has a Ph. D. in Linguistics (he READ the dictionary in several languages as a kid), and has won many awards and publications for his sci fi / fantasy stories. I, on the other hand, needed a spell checker for the word "linguistics".

Tony is a great writer, very accomplished and has won many awards,  I couldn't be prouder. His new book is entitled "The Dragon and the Stars", available on Amazon.

As an adult, cousin Tony and I finally got a chance to work together on a professional level last year. By this time, Tony had already been established as a great writer, and I had done some illustration work for Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show. So when Tony signed on to publish his short story "Tekkai Exhales His Avatar", it was an natural fit for me to illustrate for his story. The result was something that we were both very happy with, and I felt silly to be paid for "playing" again with my cousin Tony again.

Tony's website is: http://www.eyrie.org/~pi and his blog at: http://wistling.livejournal.com.

Also check out "A Sweet Calling" on Clarkesworld Magazine Podcast: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/audio_05_10a/


No comments:

Post a Comment