The model and test fit:
I moved the rx into the cab of the truck, and relocated the battery inside of the hood. The body is just servo taped to the chassis. I also replaced the stock springs with micro-t springs to bring the CG down. This helped a lot in how it performed, stock CG is really high and makes it quite tipsy. Also the foam inside of the tires were removed, and I wrapped solder wire inside of the rim for some weight. Front wheels are now around 17g, and 15g or so in the back (Stock is ~11g). When I tried more weight (~20g), I found that it had a harder time with the steep walls of the losi track. Here is a quick video of it in action:
This is a really fun rc crawler, being micro sized makes it really fun to try to climb everything on the desks and floors. I got the losi tracks from a LHS for free, and is really fun to test and play in. I'd strongly recommend it for anyone with a micro crawler.
I've got bunch of ideas that I'd like to find the time to tackle using this chassis. I don't think that I will go as far as a scale rig, that just seems way too much work.... But it is a really nice chassis platform.
I should point out here that there seems to be some QA issues with the center tranny gear. At least with this first early batch. I had one, like many other people around the forums, that suffered from some binding. The binding were not very noticeable in my case. However when I took the transmition out, there was an area in the main center big gear that would catch a bit. Being too impatient to wait for a Losi fix, I did what some others have done, sanded out the hole a bit around the bearings of the gear box. This allowed the shaft to be more forgiving, but it still catches a bit some times. I ended up sanding the hole bigger and bigger, before noticing the real issue. So I had a big hole in which the center shaft had a lot of play. The final fix was to add a single bead of shapelock to hold the bearing in the correct position. It's a hack, and I'm not sure if I'd recommend others to do this, but mine is now silky smooth. Hope that losi will recognize the issue an have it fixed soon.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone